Frontier is pleased to have joined the recently launched Net Zero Investment Consultants Initiative (NZICI). Frontier is one of twelve global investment consultancy firms, responsible for advising institutional asset owners on assets of approximately USD 10 trillion, to have signed up to the NZICI, alongside fellow Australian firms JANA and Willis Towers Watson and our GIRA partner in the United Kingdom, LCP.
The initiative is endorsed by the United Nations Race to Zero campaign and supported by the Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI). Through nine specific action points, the firms commit to supporting the goal of global net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050 or sooner.
Investment consultants like Frontier play a crucial role within the investment ecosystem. They provide strategic advice to asset owners, such as pension funds, sovereign funds, endowments, insurers, foundations and family offices in areas, such as investment beliefs and strategy, asset allocation, asset manager selection. They also provide broader education on the long-term investment risks and opportunities related to climate change, such as transition risk, physical risk and stranded assets risk. These firms are often the critical link between asset owners and asset managers, determining which firms and strategies are favoured for selection. Consultants also provide guidance to asset managers about ESG capabilities and climate competence, as well as advising on the development of new investment solutions.
The commitments developed for the NZICI have been designed to facilitate alignment with the UN-convened Net-Zero Asset Owner Alliance, the Net Zero Asset Managers Initiative and other signatories of the Race to Zero campaign.
The NZICI sets out nine actions that investment consultants will take to support the goal of global net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050 or sooner, in the context of legal and fiduciary duties and specific client mandates. First among these actions: integrating advice on net zero alignment into investment consulting services as soon as possible, and within two years of making this commitment.
The commitments apply to investment advisory service and business operations. For those consultants which offer discretionary asset management services, the commitments include a pledge to align with the Net Zero Asset Managers Initiative within two years.
The nine actions are as follows:
Within our investment advisory services we will:
- Integrate advice on net zero alignment into all our investment consulting services as soon as practically possible and within two years of making this commitment
- Work with our institutional asset owner clients to identify the investment risks from climate change, highlight the importance of net zero alignment and, where applicable, support our clients in developing policies that align their portfolios to a net zero pathway
- Support efforts to decarbonize the global economy by helping our clients prioritize real economy emissions reductions, reflecting the target of 50% global emissions reduction by 2030 or sooner using existing decarbonization methodologies.
- Assess and monitor asset managers on the integration of climate risks and opportunities in their investment decisions and stewardship and reflect this evaluation in our client recommendations
With respect to our fully discretionary services, we will:
- Align with the Net Zero Asset Manager Initiative as soon as practically possible and within two years of making this commitment
With respect to our own business operations, we will:
- Set emissions reduction targets across all our operational emissions in line with 1.5°C scenarios
Within the wider financial community, we will:
- Where suitable net zero methodologies do not exist, work collaboratively for the benefit of our clients to address these challenges, seeking harmonized methodologies
- Engage, independently or as a group, with regulators and policymakers, to facilitate the transition to net zero carbon emissions, addressing any barriers to our clients adopting and achieving their net zero targets
To ensure accountability, we will:
- Report progress by our firm against the commitments made here at least annually in public domain.
At the launch of the NZICI, Frontier CEO, Andrew Polson said, “collective action is vital to meet the objectives of the Paris Agreement.
“By joining the Net Zero Investment Consultants Initiative, Frontier is proudly and publicly committing to develop capabilities to support our clients align their investment strategies to a 1.5C degree future, while also achieving their performance objectives. Accomplishing net zero is daunting but vital and we are determined to play our part in contributing to reducing real world emissions alongside like-minded investment consultants and asset owners.”